Remember being a kid and going to school on the last day before summer break? That kind of nervous, excited energy you had all day waiting for that final bell to ring, and then walking out the doors like the world was yours! Summer meant freedom and playtime, and that doesn’t have to change when we become adults. (I also give you permission to stay home when it snows, and take naps when it rains).
While most of us don’t have the entire summer off, you may be lucky enough to have some flex time or summer Fridays. If you are like me, your inner child wants you to go to the zoo, or the pool, or the museum, or somewhere fun to play. But guess what – the real kids will be there, too. And that can have more of a detention vibe than a summer vacation vibe.
In Columbus, OH, though, we are fortunate. We have a vibrant, growing, young adult population and local businesses that care about our stalled state of maturity. So much so that many of them have created special adult-only, after hours events to help you get your recess on.
Here is a quick look at a few worth checking out this summer:
- Cosi After Dark @ Cosi Center of Science and Industry
- In addition to revisiting the staples like the high wire unicycle and the planetarium, each month features a special theme and exhibits where you can learn about something new like Dinosaurs, Unicorns, or even Brewing and Distilling (Aug 29 – FYI). Come after work and enjoy food, adult beverages, and science; varying Thursdays throughout summer
- Cocktails at the Conservatory @ Franklin Park Conservatory
- Adulting at the conservatory without the crowds, revel in all the beauty inside and enjoy cocktails, games, food trucks, and live music outside; usually the last Thursday of the month through October
- Blacklit Psychadelic Party @ Columbus Museum of Art
- Get your groove on at this after-hours dance party set to a far-out wonderland of blacklight visions in the utopian exhibition Blacklight Magic. Take a trip with a live performance by the Wet Sun Light Show and all-vinyl psychedelic sounds from DJ Lady Sandoval; Thursday July 25th.
- Craft Brew at the Zoo @ Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
- “Tap” your wild side at this 21 and up brew celebration featuring beer from Columbus Brewing Company, food, and live entertainment by Sugar Ray; Friday August 23rd
- Outdoor Movie Nights @ Genoa Park, presented by NightLight 614
- Since we are talking about the 90’s, catch some of your favorite throwback movies like Heavy Weights, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and the Princess Bride all on the big screen and in the park; Thursday nights throughout summer